Sunday, September 26, 2010

Monday 13th September-Arrival in Skagway

Early arrival in Skagway,former Klondike Gold Rush town in a superb location.After some gym work(!) walk into town and take the White Pass and Yukon train to White Pass Summit. Quite the most spectacular rail trip I have taken and definite brown trouser territory. Apparently we crossed over a cantilever bridge 1000 ft above a gorge but my view was a little obscured from under the seat.
Skagway a beautifully preserved town in contrast to its twin rush town of Dyea which is now no more.Local Rail Museum gives a real insight into the hardships of the gold prospectors who had to carry a full year's provisions to be allowed up to the Klondike goldfields.
Back on board by 4.00 and have dinner at the Waterfall Bistro for a change of scenery. Great ambience and food.
Question of the day which I posed to the Captain when I met him by chance on the stairs- when does a boat become a ship? His answer- any vessel carrying more than 12 passengers and more than 12 metres.I think I'll get a second opinion!
Cheers
The Obese Ferret.

No comments:

Post a Comment